Saturday, March 14, 2009

Tennessee Pediatrics

Mere caught a virus and her fever got up to 103.2 (highest it's ever been) on the 24th...we ran her some bath water and put her in for a little bit. She hated it!!, but it helped bring her temp down a little. I called Tennessee Pediatrics to see if I could get her in to see Dr. Holzen. She was off, but Dr. Lund was available. We got a 9:30 appt.

It was very overwhelming, but I'm so glad we went! The office that we used to take Mere to was very small, and they would take us right back. This place was huge, and there were kids everywhere, but I loved the doctor!! I talked to her about the incident with Mere's shots, and she said she doesn't need to come back until she's 2. After we got home, Dr Lund called the house. She saw a note I had put on her paperwork about being concerned about her limited speaking. I was so impressed that she took the time to call me!! She wants Mere to double her words over the next few months and begin using phrases. I told her that we read to her lots, but we're going to have to work even harder!! If she doesn't double her words, then she wants to see her before she's 2.

I've been worried about this for months! She didn't coo and babble very much, and she's usually pretty quiet. She doesn't even say 10 words on a regular basis right now. She definitely tries to talk more now that we're only letting her have her paci at naptime and bedtime. She knows so many things...she can show you lots of body parts (even her knees, elbows, fingers, and toes) and point out people. When you ask her to do things she will...she'll even get her cup and Carter's cup out of the fridge (and take to him) when asked. She just doesn't talk very much...especially to her mommy (which the doctor said is unusual...they usually talk more to their parents than anyone else, but not Meredith).

1 comment:

kbailey said...

Hey There!
I just wanted you to know that we are going through the same thing with Tristan. It was really about 2 months ago before he started talking, and by that I mean saying something other than "Mommy" or "Daddy". We just started making him tell us what he wanted instead of grunting or just pointing (this caused a lot of fits, but it definitely worked). So I thank what you are going through is completely normal. Although I do understand your concern because I was very concerned about Tristan even though being his Mommy I knew he was very smart, he just didn't want to have to say what he wanted.

Kristin Bailey